Here i am posting something that will be helpful for people who read online articles, e books, documents etc. Word info is an extension for the Firefox web browser. If you are still an Internet Explorer user, it is high time you switched to Mozilla Firefox/Google Chrome/Opera or some other browser. Here you can download firefox:
Often people(not well versed people in English but others ) find it difficult to find the meaning of an unknown word or phrase while reading online. So to know the meaning people will either search for an online dictionary server or make use of a printed dictionary which is not comfy. Word-Info is a Firefox extension more specifically a tool bar just like a search tool bar you see in web pages, browsers or other windows. All you need is to enter the word which you find it difficult to know the meaning and select the language (I have two language options: Hindi and Malayalam). And the meaning will pop-up in a new window! Here is the step by step screen-shots:
This is how the Firefox toolbar looks like. You type the word in the box, or you can copy paste the word for ease. And now press the language button to choose your preferred language. The languages appears as a drop down menu.
You can see Hindi and Malayalam languages appear as drop down menu.
Next screen-shots are a demonstration of how the extension works. I typed the word “mother” in the toolbar and searched for its meaning in both the languages. This is how the meanings of the words appear in a new pop up.
You don’t need to search and find a dictionary server or find a printed dictionary. Its really handy.
Now lets get started with the installation procedure:
- The extension is a “.xpi” file which you can download from here:
- After downloading the extension, open your Firefox web browser.
- Now go to the “File–>Open File” option fire-fox window. Browse to the directory where you have saved the file “wordinfo.xpi“.
- So Firefox will open a pop-up box asking to install it. Press the Install Now button. Then restart Firefox.
- Installing this you will find that one new toolbar is created.
- To get the meaning of a word either select the word and paste it or type the word in the toolbar.
- Press the info button or Enter key to get meaning in default language. i.e. Malayalam.
- Else select the language button to choose the language.
- You can also use the keyboard shortcut “Alt + I” twice to get the meaning. Select the desired text and use this shortcut.